Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Yes, I'm white and female. Send help!

Have either Greg or I mentioned the Cedric Benson story yet? We haven't? Wow, that seems like it would have been a no-brainer. Maybe it was too easy. Eh, I'm doing it now anyway.

I won't bore you with the details if you haven't read them already. If you're really all that interested, you can find details of the story all over the internet. But what came out today was precious. I saw the headline, "Friend sought help for Benson", and my first thought was 'this is gonna be lame'. But I read it anyway. You can read the whole thing here. The best part though is the quote from the friend.

"I called my dad and told him, 'Call 911, my black friend is getting beaten up by police on Lake Travis,' " said Elizabeth Cartwright, 22, a friend of Benson's from the University of Texas. "It's more what I heard than what I saw. I have never heard or seen Cedric that scared."

Isn't that the best? Let's count the number of problems with it.

1. "I called my dad and told him 'call 911'"
Uh, don't you have a phone in your hand? Why would you use a phone to call someone to ask them to use their phone to call 911?

2. "Call 911, my black friend is getting beaten up by police....."
Your black friend? As in your non-white friend? Or your non-Asian friend? Or non-Mexican friend? What year is this?

3. "Call 911, my black friend is getting beaten up by police....."
Hello 911? My daughter's black friend is getting beaten up by the police. Could you please send the police.....never mind. She's an idiot.

Sometimes the jokes write themselves.

Labels: , |

0 comments: