Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Date night

It's a good sign that you're at a decent Italian restaurant if they bring you a bottle of oil and a plate of parmesan along with the bread basket when you first get there. Yeah that's the best. But have you ever thought to yourself while you're at an Italian restaurant that you're paying $15 to $20 a plate for something you could have prepared by yourself at home in 20 minutes? Noodles, sauce, spices, parmesan, and crumpled sausage? Yeah I coulda done that. And I probably should have. At least then I wouldn't have felt like an idiot in front of a 22 year old Greek waiter for butchering the name of an obscure Pinot Grigio. Obscure my ass, it was bottled in Napa.

We finally got around to seeing "Forgetting Sarah Marshall". I think it's one of those movies that would be funnier if you saw it in a packed theater. There's something to be said for a movie seeming to be funnier when you have 300 people laughing at every joke versus just 2 or 3. I noticed this for the first time when I was an usher at a theater 11 or 12 years ago. It was the Jim Carrey movie "Liar Liar". The Friday night packed house version had people walking out loving it, but the Wednesday night version had the handful of people who saw it walking out thinking it was dumb. So my recommendation if you're planning on seeing it for the first time - make sure you see it on a Friday or Saturday night when there's a good chance that the theater may be relatively full. I hope it's not too late where you missed your window. Oh also, this movie had 3 or 4 instances of unprovoked man-meat that I was not prepared for. I didn't think it was funny at all; I thought it was oddly out of place and inappropriate. Nobody needs to see man-meat. Ever.

That is all.

Labels: , |

0 comments: