Sunday, May 04, 2008

Facebook etiquette

I'm new to Facebook. I joined it practically on accident. Okay that's not entirely true. But my reason for joining in the first place was legit; I have a younger relative whose page I was told had something interesting on it, but I couldn't view it without having my own login, so...you really don't care, do you? And you don't believe me either. You think I just wanted to hang out with the cool kids again and as a 29 year old loser, this was my only way of doing it. Am I right?

Regardless, I have a page now. But I'm a little confused as to what the etiquette is. Every couple days, I will get an email that says "So and So has added you as a friend", or something like that. Except they will use their real name instead of "So and So". Am I allowed to deny them, or do I have to accept everyone? What if I become so wicked popular that hundreds of people are asking me to add them every day? What happens then? Will I be spending the majority of my day acknowledging friend requests?

Why are you laughing right now? It could happen. People love me.

But if someone would kindly fill me in on what the rules are, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Labels: , |

2 comments:

  1. Erin Says:

    People tend to take facebook actions pretty seriously. Once my boyfriend and I decided to change our relationship status to "single" for the day to see what would happen and we were barraged with ims and messages of concern all day.

    It is common facebook courtesy to accept friend requests from people you know unless you really don't like them... in which case you can send a strong message by denying. There is no need to accept strangers or political figures though and you don't have to do all the silly quizes that will inevitable fill your notifications section shortly.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    That's funny. I think people look at a facebook relationship status more closely than they'd look at a wedding ring. "He's wearing a ring." "Yeah, but his facebook says single, so......"

    So when you deny a friendship, does the other person get a notification that says they were denied? Or do they just get nothing? Getting a denial notification is almost cruel, no? That's so brilliant.

    I wish I could deny people that don't even try to add me as a friend. That'd be some message, huh? They could get a message that says something like "I know you haven't requested me as a friend, but if you ever do, you're so getting denied."

    I think I need to take a step back from this whole Facebook thing.