Monday, June 16, 2008

I just play one on TV


I'll let cbs5.com do the talking:

The baseball Hall of Famer and two-time NL Most Valuable Player received an honorary doctorate of humane letters Saturday from California State University, East Bay the school where the Bay Area native earned his bachelor's degree after his 22-year playing career ended. Morgan, now an Emmy-winning broadcaster for ESPN, told graduates of the university's college of business and economics that he values the importance of education.

"I've always felt that the quality of your life is directly related to the quality of your education,'' said Morgan, who earned his bachelor's degree in 1990. ''If you continue your education, I believe you'll continue to improve the quality of your life.''

Before the 19-year-old Morgan signed a pro baseball contract with the Houston Colt .45's, he promised his parents he would finish his college education when his playing career ended. Morgan became emotional when Cal State East Bay president Mo Qayoumi conferred the honorary degree upon him before several thousand people.

''My family and I are deeply grateful and honored that you feel I am worthy of this degree,'' Morgan said.

Congratulations Dr. Morgan.

Labels: , |

0 comments: