Monday, June 23, 2008

Cubs versus White Sox

Jill is a Cubs fan and I am a White Sox fan. If I was rude, I could attribute that to Jill being a moron and me being smart. But you see, I'm not rude. Regardless, that's the tag she gives me for being a White Sox fan. She feels that in order for me to be "typical", I have to be rude in defeat and rude in victory. Like that's our makeup as White Sox fans or something. I feel that she's painting with too broad a brush. We're not all rude.

This is the time where Cubs fans mention that I may not be rude, but I'm still probably a mullet-sporting, wife-beating, 1st base coach-attacking, white trash loser. I disagree. I shaved my mullet over a year ago.

So the Cubs swept the White Sox over the weekend. Everything is right with the world. The Cubs are going to win the World Series and the White Sox will fold and die like the scum that they are. I get it. But I want Jill to know that I was gracious in defeat and I would have been gracious in victory. I wouldn't have taken any joy in her suffering had our roles been reversed (okay maybe a little). And yet it was an unnamed Cubs fan (I think Jim) who taped pictures of broomsticks to my monitor so that I would have something to greet me as I made it into work.

Who's being rude now?

Labels: , , , |

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous Says:

    I don't know how you do it, friend.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    so I went on Friday with some friends, and a 20-something girl came to the game with her boyfriend. The girl was wearing a pair of sunglasses with the lenses molded into the shape of beer mugs, and the guy was wearing a Cubs lucha libre mask. (To be fair, the mask was kind of cool.)

    I defy you to find someone that would wear a pair of beer sunglasses to a Sox game.

    Just proving once again that Cubs fans go to party, but Sox fans go to watch a ball game. There you go.

  3. Anonymous Says:

    I wonder if those would be "beer goggles" designed to make the Cubs look better...