Thursday, April 17, 2008

There should be a vetting process for something like this

I don't like that the short term for veteran and veterinarian is the same. It gets too confusing sometimes. Not all the time. Like I could say "I'm taking my dog to the vet" and that probably wouldn't cause any confusion. Nobody would hear me say that and think I'm taking my dog to the VFW or anything. I don't think. First of all I don't even have a dog. But that's not really the point. The point is that would be silly. Dogs and VFW's just don't mix. But earlier today I found an instance where it was confusing. I saw a headline that said 1 in 5 vets has mental problems. My first reaction when reading that was "wow, I wonder why. They're just cats and dogs. And the occasional turtle. It's certainly not a profession to go crazy over." And then it clicked with me. Ah, veterans. Yeah that makes more sense. Because of all the shooting and war and such. It has nothing to do with the dude who dropped out of the real medical school to focus on animals.

So I propose that we no longer call veterinarians vets. Let's start calling them veters. I know it'll work. You with me?

Labels: , |

2 comments:

  1. Greg Says:

    I always thought they should call them PETerinarians...you know, since they take care of pets. no?

  2. PDS Says:

    But then we'd be taking our pet to the pet - still confusing!