Monday, April 14, 2008

#1 reason I can't cancel my satellite radio subscription

While I was eating a Subway sandwich in my car* at lunch today, I managed to hear the following songs in succession:

1. Pizzicato Five - Twiggy vs James Bond
2. Superdrag - Sucked Out
3. Spacehog - In the Meantime

Now I'm not saying all 3 of those are the kick-arse top dogs of 1990's brilliance, but all 3 brought an equally large smile to my face. And honestly, that's all I could ever ask for. Also, I could listen to that Spacehog song 300 times in a row and still look forward to the 301st. I'm convinced that their name ruined their chances at mainstream success**. I wonder if they've ever thought of starting a support group with Toad the Wet Sprocket called "Guys who threw away millions of dollars because of their gay-sounding alternative band name".

* There's very few foods that I would consider okay to eat while sitting in my car during lunch. Anything from McDonald's is out. For one, there's probably going to be barbeque sauce involved and I'm not about to be that guy who rests his barbeque sauce on his arm rest. At least not again. Also, the smell lingers for a while after you do it, so you run the risk of someone getting in your car like 2 days later and saying "hey did you just get McDonalds?" And nobody needs that. Portillo's is also out. You know what? I'm probably going to have to eiminate any restaurant that sells a lot of salty foods like fries because salt + fingers = nasty steering wheel (remember S+F=NSW). And nobody needs that either. So you'd think Subway would be okay, right? No barbeque sauce. No salty fingers. Well I can say for sure that Subway is not okay. And you know why? It's because if lettuce needs a place to land when it misses your mouth, in between your seats is going to be the place it finds. You're just gonna have to trust me on that. So what have we learned? No sauce, no salt, and no lettuce. That really leaves nothing. So go find a table somewhere and eat like a human ya' sicko.

** This doesn't really explain The Smashing Pumpkins though, does it?

4 comments:

  1. Megan Says:

    Brian, you always do a great job of basically taking two blog posts, and turning them into one. The tie-in of the two subjects? "This happened in my car."

    :)

    p.s. Why isn't Pizzicato Five ringing any bells? I have to look them up now.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    Pizzicato Five may not ring a bell for just about everyone. I'm sure Greg will know it because our local radio station played it like 500 times a day for a couple months back in the mid 90's I believe. But I'll try to find them on youtube and link them within the post.

  3. Anonymous Says:

    Done. Wow that was easy.

  4. Anonymous Says:

    I remember that pizicato song. I had a friend who claimed he could sing along to the chorus. reekeenumeneskagoga, reekeenumeneeskagoga. I should have called him out on his bullshit. I dont think I know him back when snow was popular but I bet he claimed to know the words to informer too.