Tuesday, April 17, 2007

What is the 'mean'ing of this?

Rather than confusing me as to the difference between the median and the mean, why don’t we get rid of the mean and simply call it the average? Everyone knows what average means, but nobody ever remembers what mean means. Wait, we never remember what mean means? That’s kinda funny. Either way, mean is just confusing, so let's get rid of it. Come to think of it, I see no reason why we have the median either. What purpose does it serve? If I have an odd sequence of numbers, the median is the middle one. If I have an even sequence of numbers, the median is the mean, er I mean the average of the middle two. Seriously, what the hell for? I say we get rid of the mean AND the median, then get rid of X so we can all live happier. Or at least I can, and that’s really all that counts. Know what I mean?

Labels: , |

8 comments:

  1. Greg Says:

    I would guess that the average person has no idea what mean means.

    Moreover, what purpose does the "mode" serve. The number that appears most frequently? I can't say as I've ever encountered that statistic in any worthwhile statistic.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    If we get rid of X, we would just be left with why. And then if everyone was left with that, we would all be more wise.

  3. Anonymous Says:

    So would the average person be mean?

  4. Anonymous Says:

    No, you couldn't say that someone who is average is mean. But you could say that someone who is mean is just average. But that's assuming we still use mean rather than average and I'm trying to get rid of it. So let's just call someone who is mean a jerk. That eliminates all the confusion. I think.

  5. Anonymous Says:

    But if we replace "mean" with "average", it would put a whole new spin to things:

    - you're an average one, Mr. Grinch
    - what is the averaging of life?
    - Average Girls
    - eenie, averageie, miney, moe
    - Average Joe Green

    You know what I average?

  6. Anonymous Says: This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  7. Greg Says:

    The above is a perfect example of the old adage, "If you don't have anything nice to say, make sure you post it anonymously."

  8. Anonymous Says:

    I'm a pretty smart gal, but my brain hurts after reading all that. :) Maybe it's just too late in the day to read this post.

    You are all very clever.