Friday, April 27, 2007

Basketball, what is it good for?

"It’s going to be quite a battle. I don’t want to compare what we’re doing to what’s going on over in Iraq, but…it should be quite the battle." – New Jersey Nets coach Lawrence Frank, talking about an upcoming playoff game between his team and the Toronto Raptors.

This is sad. He’s being interviewed and says the game is going to be a battle. Then an alarm goes off in his head that tells him that people may be upset with his comparison (which isn’t really a comparison at all) to war, so he prefaces his next statement to make sure that he’s covered. The saddest part about this is I don’t blame him. Remember a few years ago when Kevin Garnett did the same thing and he was blasted by all the sportswriters and television pundits for it? Granted Kevin went a little further and mentioned weaponry and tactics (which by the way was hilarious if you have a sense of humor and don't take things too seriously), but I think it’s sad that Larry Frank found it necessary to preface his statement like that.

We know that a basketball game isn’t the same thing as driving around in a Humvee while getting shot at. We know that a basketball game isn’t the same thing as walking around in the hot desert surrounded by people who want to kill you. And yet, I’m sure that if Larry hadn’t covered himself the way that he did, people would be demanding an apology from him today. Quite sad.

Unrelated lighter note: the guy I work with who has all the Cosby sweaters switched things up today. He’s wearing a collared shirt, but it has a Cosby-sweater pattern. It’s terrific. I have to find out where he shops for these things.

Labels: , , , |

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Naturally, the title of this post now has Jackie Chan singing in my head.

    Worse than the two days last week with "Black Velvet" running through my head, and worse than the guy walking down my street belting out Moranis's share of "Suddenly Seymour."

    This is painful...

  2. Anonymous Says:

    Suddenly Seymour? All of the choices from that movie and he chose Suddenly Seymour? When I was young and a bad little kid, my Momma noticed funny things I did. Like shooting puppies with a BB gun. I'd poison guppies, and when I was done, I'd find a pussycat and bash in it's head.

  3. Anonymous Says:

    There is a similarity between basketball and war -- both have traveling.