Thursday, March 15, 2007

Pete Rose now good bet for Hall of Fame

Baseball's all-time hit king, Pete Rose, admitted yesterday on the Dan Patrick ESPN Radio program that he bet on the his team "every night" while managing the Cincinnati Reds. "I bet on my team to win every night because I love my team, I believe in my team," Rose said. "I did everything in my power every night to win that game."

It's too early to tell how this will affect his chances at induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame but its fair to say that Rose is now a shoe-in to be inducted into the Bad Gamblers' Hall of Fame.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous Says:

    I don't know about you, but I need more info. Did he bet the same amount every night, or did he bet less when Eric Davis came into the clubhouse that day looking like he just finished an 8-ball?

    Either way, the man couldn't have felt good about his chances. I mean really, his Reds teams were the epitomy of average. Seems like a suckers bet if you ask me.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    Pete Rose should be in the hall of fame. He has the hightest batting average ever so even if he gambled on baseball, he should at least be in the hall of fame.

  3. Greg Says:

    Actually, MJ... The highest batting average ever belongs to Ty Cobb who batted a lifetime .366. Pete Rose, while compiling the most total hits all time, batted .303 over 22 seasons.

    While his on field accomplishments are certainly worthy of the Hall of Fame, Rose broke the cardinal rule in all of professional sports by betting not only on baseball, but on the very games in which he was taking part in. He's been banned from baseball for life and as far as I'm concerned, the Hall can wait until his life is over before considering him for induction.