Monday, January 08, 2007

The fall of Romo

My brother-in-law Daryl and I have talked about starting a Fantasy Life league where you would assemble a "team" of celebrities and earn points based on their worth as human beings. The celebrity would earn points for things like humanitarian work, likability, or just by marrying someone above them on the celebrity ladder. They'd be deducted points for things like drunk driving arrests, making a movie with Matthew Lillard, or having a homemade sex tape "stolen" from their house.

I bring that up because in a matter of three months, Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo has seen his Fantasy Life value skyrocket and plummet. Tony Romo is the celebrity equivalent to Pets.com.

Romo began the season as a back-up quarterback that nobody had heard of. Following his rise to the starting position and the Cowboys success behind him, it wasn't long before he was practically the greatest quarterback that ever played the game and was rumored to be dating Jessica Simpson.

However, after flubbing a snap on a short field goal attempt that would have won the game for the Cowboys in their wildcard playoff game on Saturday, Tony Romo is arguably the biggest goat in franchise history. Talk about your 15 minutes of fame.

No other athlete springs to mind that has gone full circle so quickly. Now I just have to convince Daryl to trade me his Kevin Federline. K-Fed has nowhere to go but up.

Labels: , , |

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Ok, so it looks like you posted this blog twice?

    Anyway...what do you do with an Angelina Jolie? Humanitarian...a plus...homewrecker...a minus. Do those cancel each other out?

    Also, I was going to blog about the same subject (Romo's flub). You did it better. Damn you.

  2. Greg Says:

    Thanks. I've fixed the error.

    And we've debated Angelina. She's got a lot more upside considering her guaranteed box office success, not to mention that she wrecked a home FOR BRAD PITT! It would have been different if she'd stolen Kid Rock from Pam.

  3. Anonymous Says:

    Greg was so excited about his blog today that he put it up here twice. I think he just did that because he was mad at me for bumping him down the page a bit with my nonsense. I can't say I blame him.

    Regardless Greg, I've fixed it and made your posting the most recent. Enjoy the top of the page. Don't say I never did anything for you.

  4. Anonymous Says:

    Hmm good point about Angelina. Overall she's a plus. And if you're going to do that, Brad Pitt's the one to do it with.

  5. Anonymous Says:

    I forgot to say...I disagree with your K-fed observation. I think we've only just begun to see how far down he can go. If at the height of your "fame" you are already doing celebrity wrestling, you are in a bad, bad, place.

    Tell Daryl to keep his K-Fed!

  6. Greg Says:

    That being said, she was married to Billy Bob Thornton before Brad... She had a lot of ground to make up to get back on the plus side.

  7. Anonymous Says:

    Ok, I need to stop commenting, but...

    I think if you are simply looking at Billy Bob's personal life, then yes, she did have a lot of ground to make up.

    However, he's a great actor, director, writer etc...Didn't you see "Sling Blade"? And don't throw "Bandits" back at me. That was a fun movie!

    I think I'm done now.

  8. Greg Says:

    I can't believe we all missed a very important detail regarding Ms. Jolie. Who was her co-star in Hackers?

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113243/

  9. Anonymous Says:

    Oh yikes! I forgot about that!!

  10. Anonymous Says:

    It's about time you posted something clever. I thought you were a has-been after that "nines" blog!!! :)