Friday, June 08, 2007

Leave the gun, take the cannolis

With only one episode left of The Soprano’s, I figured it was time to look back on the predictions I made back in April.

1. I think the FBI has gotten to Paulie – I suppose this scenario seems just as likely to me now as it did two months ago. I believe there to be one of three possibilities for Paulie that will come to light on Sunday. Either he has turned on Tony and is working for the FBI, he has turned on Tony and is working for New York, or he’s one of few characters who will have remained loyal to Tony throughout the series. Based on what we saw last week, I’m now leaning towards possibility #2 – he’s working for New York. Why else would all of Tony’s main guys be targeted by Phil Leotardo except for Paulie unless he were helping them? My hope is that this scenario is too obvious and Paulie ends up loyal to the end. He was always my favorite character on the show.

2. Bobby Bacala is about to be arrested for killing that guy at the Laundromat – this story line (introduced in the season opener) went completely unresolved. Now that he’s dead, he cannot be punished for blatantly leaving evidence behind. Either this detail was included in the opener just to get us thinking one way while the story headed off in another direction, or Bobby’s carelessness is going to come back and haunt Tony on Sunday for giving the go-ahead for the murder itself. If I had to wager a guess, I would say that this scene won’t be mentioned, won’t be flashed back, and won’t be important to the story come Sunday.

3. Not so obvious is the fallout from that arrest. You think Janice will take it lightly that her husband is in prison and no longer earning? Who do you think she will take it out on? My guess is either Carmela, with whom she fought with by the lake in the season premier, or Tony, with whom she has had a dysfunctional relationship with since they were kids. Could Janice actually kill her brother? I think so. – Okay, so the exact details of this scenario are no longer possible with Bobby being dead and all, but there’s still a real chance that Janice could blame Tony for Bobby’s death. I’ve thought all season that if Tony were to be killed, it would be by Janice. I’m sticking by this theory.

4. Finally, there’s what happens to Uncle Junior. In April, I wagered that he would have people killed in retaliation for getting his arse kicked by that crazy guy. I don’t really see this as a possibility now since he’s still incarcerated and there’s only 1 hour of show left, but I do think it’s possible that he’ll be one of the last men standing following Sunday’s hour-long blood-bath. Anyway, here are my final predictions for Sunday’s series finale:

- Janice kills Tony.
- Paulie, with the blessing of his new friend in New York, becomes Don of the New Jersey family.
- Carmela kills Janice, but AJ gets caught in the crossfire (let’s all hope for this).
- Meadow gets shot walking down the stairs of an opera house.
- Of course that’s a joke, that would be much too corny. Maybe Meadow and Carmela can pull a Thelma and Louise or something and drive off a cliff.

Regardless of what happens, I can’t wait for Sunday. Enjoy.

Labels: , , |

0 comments: