Thursday, June 21, 2007

From the diary of a mad White Sox fan

Now that my White Sox are (un)officially removed from the 2007 playoff chase, I figured it’s time to reflect on the previous year and a half as a fan of this team. My final verdict? I feel cheated. No seriously, I feel cheated. I’m less than 2 years removed from watching my team win their first World Series since 1917, and today I sit here feeling cheated that I barely got to enjoy it. Think about it; Sox fans had like a 2 week window where we were feeling good and that's about it. If you remember, it wasn't until the very end of September that we knew our team was going to the playoffs. Up until then, all we would read about or have to listen to was Cubs fans and Indians fans and media people laughing at us because our team was about to blow a 15 game lead. But then they didn't. And then they blew through the playoffs in like 2 weeks. And then everything was over. Before we knew it, Ozzie was calling Jay Mariotti a [bleep], AJ was getting sucker-punched by Michael Barrett, and the Sox were under-achieving their way to a 3rd place finish. What the hell happened?

Today, I keep hearing White Sox fans say things like "well at least we had 2005" or "well at least we got to experience it once". I’ve even heard myself say those things. But did we really have 2005? Did we really experience it? My only moments of celebration included an hour or two after Game 4 in Houston, an hour at the parade two days later, and 1 hour at the ring ceremony game the following April (which I had to leave early because of my unfortunate bout with food poisoning). That’s 3 hours of celebration, 4 tops. Now all I have to show for it is a fake ring that I got for showing up to that April game early, a couple of DVDs that proves to me that those 2 weeks really happened, and an autograph I got at Soxfest from Jon Garland the following February (which I gave away to my nephew). That's it. And now they suck again. Son of a _____!

Labels: , |

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Get over it

  2. Megan Says:

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    | | | | |

    Clever! :)

  3. Anonymous Says:

    I figured a response like that was coming my way. And I deserve it. I'm just surprised it came from 4 Hollywood actors who evidently share the same computer with each other. You learn something new every day.