Friday, June 15, 2007

Happy Father's Day - wanna ruin it by golfing?

Remember this? Well it's that time again. Tomorrow morning I will try my hand at Round 2 of the Jill's family's annual Father's Day golf outing. A few things will be different this year:

1. I have new clubs. Jill got them for me as a wedding gift. They're awesome. Much too nice for a guy who sucks at golf.
2. I'll be wearing golf shoes and a glove on my right hand. I bought the shoes last summer and Jill's brother Tommy got me the glove for my birthday. In other words, I'll look like a golfer (aside from the way I'm golfing).
3. My dad will be joining me this year and all indications based on our trip to the driving range last night point towards him sucking as bad or worse than me. Last year I was in a foursome with my father-in-law (decent golfer), an uncle-in-law (awesome golfer), and some guy I just met (another awesome golfer). Yeah, it was a bloodbath. This year I'll be playing with my dad (sucks), Tommy (also sucks), and Jill's dad (decent). That's my kind of foursome.
4. And finally, I actually have improved. I haven't taken any lessons or anything, but I have taken some pointers from people who know what they're doing and they've actually worked. Somewhat.

I can't be any worse than last year.

Famous last words, right?

Labels: , |

6 comments:

  1. Greg Says:

    The glove goes on your left hand.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    Maybe the clubs are left handed, too...

  3. Anonymous Says:

    You're right. And it does. And shut it. Don't make fun of a guy who's still learning his left and right. Honestly I'm not sure why I wrote that. I just used it last night. Hey, remember when we went to Ken Loch like 10 years ago and I was using a glove that was wet (not sure why it was wet, this may be one of those Fuzzy Memories) and the club slipped out of my hand, went over the fence, and landed in the busy street, nearly hitting the on-coming traffic? That was fun.

  4. Greg Says:

    Remember the time on the third hole when we were in the front of a long back up and you swung and missed at the ball like 4 times so I just grabbed a ball out of my bag and chucked it down the fairway about 50 yards and you just played that one? Good times! :)

  5. Anonymous Says:

    Great times! I was telling someone about that recently, but you got the story wrong a little bit. I didn't swing and miss, but there was a pond directly to the right of the tee and my ball sliced into it 4 times in a row (the exact same spot). After the 4th time, you had a golf ball in your hand and you chucked it as far as you could and said "you're playing from there". It was classic. Laughter all around from the people who were waiting for us.

  6. Tricia Says:

    Oh, you guys are too funny!

    Brian, I hope you have a great time tomorrow. We'll be expecting the full report!

    And Happy Father's Day to you, Greg...I hope you're showered with lots of love, affection and presents on Sunday!