Monday, June 18, 2007

A few high (and low) lights from Saturday’s 18 holes

- The weather was hot, the beer was flowing, so everyone had fun.
- I didn’t come in last. In fact, two others finished with a worse score than me.
- I hit two houses, but no people (I’ll take all the positives I can).
- I only lost 4 balls the entire round. Last year I think I lost 20 or so.
- My score improved by 15% versus the year before. What does that mean? I guess it means that my game went from ridiculously bad to just bad. I’ll take it.

A final thought about golf and then I’ll put this topic to bed. One of the things I realized as I was searching the high grass for my ball on the 12th hole is that golf is a lot harder for people who suck. That seems like an obvious statement, but hear me out. I’m not just referring to the ability to hit the ball straight and far. I’m referring to the game itself being harder. For instance, if I was good, I would probably be able to hit the fairway on my drives every time. From there, my 2nd and 3rd shots would be a lot easier because it’s easier to shoot from the fairway than it is from the rough. See what I mean? Essentially what golf does is it penalizes the people who aren’t good at it by making them attempt ridiculous shots from knee-high grass. If I ever ran my own course, I would make the rough down the middle and the low grass along the sides. The course would look dumb, but guys like me with wicked slices would benefit greatly.

Labels: , |

3 comments:

  1. Megan Says:

    Do you always slice? If so, is it consistently in the same direction? If so, why not just position yourself 90 degrees from whatever direction you are actually aiming for? I tried that once in h.s. and it got me on the Varsity team. :)

  2. Megan Says:

    Blah, I used "if so" twice. Whatev.

  3. Anonymous Says:

    I tried that. We'll call it the "Caddyshack 2" move, even though that movie was awful. I kept slicing the ball to the right, so I started positioning myself to the left. It worked once or twice, but then I hit one pretty good and it landed in a neighborhood that lined the left of the fairway. I heard a bunch of crashes, so we hopped in our carts and took off. It's their own fault for living there I say.