Wednesday, May 23, 2007

An oddly compelling awkward little dance

I stopped off at the grocery store on my way home from work yesterday. I live in a small town so the store is pretty small and it was relatively empty so the checkout girls were not very busy. When I brought my items up to check out, I noticed a weird interaction between two of the check out girls that were not helping me.

I recognized one of the girls from previous visits to the store. I can only describe her as being one of the ugliest people I'm ever likely to encounter. When I say "ugly", I don't mean as in the 'wearing a Guadalajara poncho to work' kind of ugly. I mean she is a legitimate goblin. Let me put it this way: For the first several times I saw her, I wasn't even sure she was a SHE. Bad hair, bad teeth, bad skin... just an all-around disaster. If ugly were people, she'd be China. She got beat with the ugly stick like she had been caught stealing from a farmers market in Singapore. Someone should put a bag over her head but the only question would be 'Will that be paper or plastic?' As an aside, I noticed yesterday that she was wearing earrings. I couldn't help but wonder why she'd even bother? That seemed to me to be a little like sprinkling glitter on a turd.

Anyway, Uglier Betty was aggressively flirting with another check out girl and making her unmistakably uncomfortable. Betty came up behind Uncomfortable Girl and put both hands on her hips in a way that you would have expected a pottery wheel and the song Unchained Melody to be involved. She held her hands there several seconds before Uncomfortable Girl awkwardly wiggled away.

Not taking the hint, Betty once again moved in on Uncomfortable Girl, this time leaning in to look at her necklace or something (the good money is on the "or something"). Uncomfortable Girl quickly pulled away again. It was painful to watch the little dance these two girls were having, yet at the same time it was oddly compelling.

Unfortunately, it was at this time when my checkout girl handed me my change and I had to leave. I may have to stop by again today and see if they're still at it.

Labels: , |

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous Says:

    the image link doesn't work for me

  2. Greg Says:

    Fixed the link. Sorry about that.