Friday, May 18, 2007

A Convenient (Store) Solution

Let's say you own a small store, like a 7-11. Your 7-11 is the envy of all the other 7-11's. Your floors are clean, your shelves are tidy and your Slurpees are the best around.

As is often the case, the popularity of your 7-11 has it's downsides. Since you have so much to offer, you are overrun with people coming into your store and stealing your merchandise. They just can't get enough of your Slurpees. So they come in and fill up on Slurpees without paying. You do your best to catch the Slurpee theives, and when you do, you call the police and have them arrested.

However, after years of watching people steal from you and calling the police, you realize that no matter how many people you catch and no matter how many people you have arrested, there are still more people willing to attempt to rip off your delicious Slurpees. Eventually you become so disgusted with the system that you stop calling the police all together. When you see them stealing from you, you just look the other way. When it gets out that you aren't enforcing your own store policies, people come from all over to take advantage of your "free" Slurpees.

One day, you decide, "Enough is enough! These people have stolen from me long enough. They stole from me when I enforced my store policy and they stole from me when I looked the other way. What else can I do? I have it! I will make them all temporary employees of my store. That way, they won't be stealing. They'll be entitled to their own Slurpees and we'll all be happy."

Yeah. That makes sense.

Labels: , , , |

4 comments:

  1. Tricia Says:

    Ummm....WHAT?

    And thanks...now you've got me craving a Slurpee.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    Good blog!!! But for some reason, I'm craving an enchilada...I wonder why...

  3. Megan Says:

    Tricia, I believe he is trying to compare the U.S. and its border policies to the 7-11 and its Slurpee thieves.

    Nicely done.

  4. Tricia Says:

    OOOOHHHHHH!!! Now I get it! Good one, Greg! That'd be one crowded 7-11! ;-)

    Thanks, Jane...I'm a little slow on the uptake, but I eventually come around. I feel like such a doofus. But hey...it's not the first time, & I doubt it'll be the last!