Friday, August 22, 2008

The time I accidentally asked Carrot Top if he was gay

When I was in college, I met Carrot Top. This was about 12 years ago, before he started working out like a freak. If there was a Carrot Top boom, it was right at the tail end of it.

My roommate, Tim (who actually preferred to be called Spoon. Do not ask me why. I have no idea.) had a brother that went to Western Michigan University. I guess Carrot Top had some cult following there or something, and Spoon's older brother (Ladle?) worked on the committee that brought Carrot Top to perform at the school. This got us free tickets to the show and allowed us back stage.

The show was everything you'd expect from Carrot Top. Just a bunch of prop gags for the most part. One thing that was particularly different than I'd seen from Carrot Top on TV was his use of sound effects and music clips throughout the show, all of which were coordinated with his "roadie" in the soundbooth and completely improvised.

After the show, Carrot Top, his roadie, the college entertainment committee (consisting of my roommate's brother and about 5 other peoole), my roommate and myself, went to a pub for dinner.

I should mention here, in case you didn't know, that Carrot Top's real name is Scott and he prefers that you call him that. Ironically, that didn't stop my roommate, Spoon, from calling him Carrot Top all night.

Through a lucky twist of fate, Spoon and I (the tagalongs) got seats close to Carrot Top at the table where we monopolized the conversation for most of the night. We were shooting the shit with Carrot Top. It was a little surreal. He was a nice enough guy.

During the conversation, we discussed the logistics of the show, and I mentioned how a lot of what his roadie did relied on precision timing and being able to pull up each sound clip in a split second. Roadie said something about learning to anticipate where a joke was going, to which Carrot Top said, "he's seen my show so many times that they're like a team" or something like that.

I said, "How long have you guys been together?"

Now, I certainly didn't mean to imply that they were ....TOGETHER.... I was just asking because they seemed to have good comedic chemistry. Their reactions were interesting, nonetheless.

"What? Together? Dude, We're not gay!"

Kinda defensive, aren't we, Scott?

I'm sure he's just working out because it's helps him carry around his trunk full of props.

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous Says:

    I've just seen this post because i was doing a little digging because no one seemed to know if he was straight, gay or bi.
    I met him in Vegas last week.. At a gay club of all places.. He was hitting on me all night, i couldn't shake him off. I didn't know who he was until a friend whispered in my ear. He's actually a really nice guy, funny and if you can look past his wild hair and botched face, he's a pretty fit guy for his age!
    Either way... I'm still not sure if he's gay or not, but he's certainly not completely straight that's for sure. Judging by him flirting and touching me (legs/arms), and the way i look.. He likes them young, slim/toned, british and blonde

  2. SwimSports Says:

    Bi is the same thing as gay bro!

  3. SwimSports Says:

    Bi is the same thing as gay bro!

  4. Anonymous Says:

    Bi is not the same thing as gay, homophobic-bro

  5. Unknown Says:

    they say he frequents the gay clubs here in orlando

  6. American Says:

    Child killer is still called a killer.

  7. Anonymous Says:

    Yes I think he is bisexual. Look at his Instagram account. I use to work out at LA Fitness in Winter Park and saw him there all the time.

  8. Unknown Says: This comment has been removed by the author.
  9. Rochester Janey Says:

    Does it really matter what he is? We don't pay his bills or wash his azz. He's a funny mo-for and that's all that matters to me. You gotta love a ginger baby.

  10. Unknown Says:

    He is one of the best prop/comedian around and what he does in his own life is private,--cant name name any other prop ppl- well Gallagher

  11. Unknown Says:

    Nothing homophobic about it. Bi sexual man is counterintuitive. Men who like wamyns genitalia, don't also like dirty man ass. Not if they're straight anyway.

  12. mefink86 Says:

    if he was gay or bi I'd totally let him be my sugar daddy lol. honestly i always loved his shows so yeah id totally date him if he was lol even at 54 years old he's still got amazing body cute face and such a nice guy. plus laughter is the best medicine and he's Hillarious

  13. MrsBernieMadoff Says:

    ANYONE WITH EYEBALLS, CAN TELL THIS GUY IS HOMOSEXUAL/GAY, AND THOSE DRAWED ON EYEBROWS OMGAWD....YECK!!!! HE USE TO BE A HANDSOME GUY, BUT NOW, WTF. BUFF AZZ BODY FOR A GAY GUY. I WONDER HOW MANY GUYS, CAN HE BENCH PRESS? NOTHING ABOUT HIM SAYS STRAIGHT PERIOD!!!!! LOVE HIS COMEDY THOUGH.����������������������������

  14. Anonymous Says:

    “Not if they’re straight anyway.”
    Yeah, no shit, Sherlock. If they’re bi, they’re not straight.

  15. Enzo Says:

    Is it gay if you suck dick and eat cum?