Monday, August 04, 2008

Feeling Meh for the White Sox

Over the weekend, I tuned in to a total of 5 minutes of White Sox games. They played 3 games over the course of 7 or 8 hours, and grand total I watched 5 minutes of it. And it was awesome. Remember, I'm a guy who has seen or listened to a portion of just about every White Sox game for the past 10 or 15 years. Over the weekend, I simply stopped watching. I couldn't take it anymore. It's not that I'm no longer a fan, but they're just not fun anymore. Every other day, they're in the news for something that isn't good. Whether it's Ozzie in a fake feud with an opposing pitcher who sucks or Kenny saying they get no respect in Chicago or Brian Anderson licking food off of Octavio Dotel's foot [real] or Joe Crede injuring his back or Ozzie in a fake feud with an opposing catcher who sucks or Kenny saying they get no respect in Chicago or Ozzie and Hawk in a fake feud with a newspaper columnist who sucks or the whole team complaining that they get no respect in Chicago; it's all so tiring. You know?

I realize that people who play sports for a living usually aren't the brightest people in the world. I don't expect them to be. They've never really had to be good at anything other than the sport that they play, so I get it. But some of the comments that come from the people associated with this team on what seems like a daily basis, I just shake my head and wonder. They just have a way of sucking the fun out of enjoying baseball. And the thing about them is that they're good. Well relative to what I expected them to be and relative to the division they play in. I really didn't have high hopes this year. I figured them for 80 to 85 wins, but 10 games or so behind the Indians or Tigers. Right now they're in 2nd place, 1/2 game behind the Twins. And yet they're still not fun, at least to me.

I never thought I'd say this, especially about a White Sox team that has a chance to make it to the playoffs this late into the season, but I couldn't care less what happens from here [hyperbole]. Win, lose, I really don't care [more]. And to be honest, I can't wait to enjoy the rest of my summer without them [true].

To be fair, talk to me in October if they're in the playoffs. And forget I mentioned all this.

Labels: , |

4 comments:

  1. Jerms Says:

    CUBS RULE!

  2. Anonymous Says:

    Did anyone catch that Sox/Tiger game? I fell asleep. I'm still enjoying not watching them more than watching them, but I liked waking up to last night's results.

  3. Megan Says:

    Yes, I saw the end. It was not as pleasant for me.

  4. Anonymous Says:

    Just got around to reading this, and came to the comments page to see Jeremy yelling something about the Cubs. I wasn't disappointed.