Monday, August 11, 2008

The Olympics - bringing patriotism to people who otherwise wouldn't care less about swimming

Did you stay up last night and watch Michael Phelps Jason Lezak? I didn't. I turned it off after the 3rd leg. I was flipping between the Olympics and the Cubs game all night and every time I'd come back to NBC, I kept thinking I'd missed the relay. Then Bob Costas would say "coming up, the mens 4x100 meter relay, where Michael Phelps will try for his 2nd gold medal." All night long it went like that. Finally after 10pm it started. I didn't know the backstory so much other than that cocky French dude saying his team would destroy the Americans. The Americans with Michael Phelps? Nonsense. How do you beat a team with Michael Phelps?

That's about as much as I know about swimming.

And then the race started. Holy crap, the Americans aren't the best team. They're barely even the 2nd best team. They do have a black guy though; that's pretty cool. But what was the hype all about? Michael Phelps went 1st and by the time he was done, his team was in like 3rd or 4th. What a jip. I stayed up for this?!?

And then the 2nd guy went and he was pretty good. The Americans still weren't winning though.

And then the 3rd black guy went and he was good too. But still not good enough. By the time he was finished, his team was down by a full body-length. And as we all know from having watched countless hours of swimming, a full body-length lead in a 100m race might as well be half a pool length. So that's when I turned off the TV.

What place did the U.S. finally come in? Was it 2nd? Oh well. I guess there's always London in 2012 for Michael Phelps to get his 8 gold medals.

2 comments:

  1. Megan Says:

    You aren't watching the White Sox anymore, but you are watching the Cubs.

    So are you a Cubs fan now?

  2. Anonymous Says:

    Good catch. My White Sox "boycott" lasted all of 3 or 4 days. I couldn't stay away.

    As for the Cubs, I guess I enjoy seeing Chicago on national television. We film so well.