Wednesday, August 01, 2007

An unforetunate golf tale

Here is the latest chapter in the well documented golf adventures of the guys of 1 Happy St.

As many of you may know by now, Tuesday night is my golf league night. Brian only really golfs when someone asks him, so he can almost get away with being a lousy golfer. Since I play in a competitive league on a weekly basis, I actually have to do things like play it where it lies and keep score and explain to my wife why I need to buy more golf balls again.

One would think that with all the golf I play, my score would be showing signs of improvement. You would think that. And now, you'd actually be right! Last night was my personal best round. I shot a 50. I would have broken 50 had my putt for par on the last hole been half an inch to the right.

We play 9 holes every week ("Just like Alex Rodriguez!" says my 11 month old Jack) and I'd been averaging around a 56-60 this year. Last year I was in the 60's consistently, but I upgraded to Callaway irons and my game improved immediately.

Unfortunately, my score was not the highlight of the evening. The most excitement of the night took place between the fairways of the 3rd and 4th holes. As is often the case, my drive on the 3rd hole par 4 went far and way right. It landed on the far side of the 4th fairway. With about 200 yards to the green, I squared up with my 5 wood. From my angle, I had a clear line to the pin, with several small trees far to the left. In those trees was someone from group playing the 4th hole. I saw him there but he was no where near where I was aiming. So I let it go.

And I hit him. I'm telling you, my ball hunted him down like Tommy Lee Jones. He wasn't even close to where I was aiming but my ball darted at him so fast, I barely had time to yell, "FORE!" He never even flinched. My ball caromed (Brian likes that word), and I quickly went over to see if he was okay.

Thankfully, he was. Actually, I think the ball really only grazed his butt. He was wearing baggy shorts and I think that helped slow the ball down considerably. Of course I apologized profusely (is there any other activity one can do "profusely") and he told me he was fine and not to worry about it. I was hoping I'd catch up with him in the clubhouse to buy him a beer but I never saw him again. I also could have thanked him for stopping my ball from going too far off course.

All in all, it could have been a lot worse, but I was happy to bogey the hole.

Labels: , , |

2 comments:

  1. Molly Says:

    Wait a minute...whose hole did you bogey? :)

  2. Megan Says:

    Bleed. You can also bleed profusely.