Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The media took me out of context

See if you can find the quote in the following AP story that stands out the most:

BEIJING -- The Meng brothers felt pretty good about their chances of making it out of the collapsed coal mine, until the sound of digging from outside stopped. With no food or water, they were forced to eat coal and drink their own urine from discarded bottles. Meng Xianchen and Meng Xianyou finally dug their way to the surface after nearly six days underground -- a rare tale of survival in China's coal mines, the world's deadliest. The two even managed to crack jokes about their wives remarrying after they emerged Friday from the illegal mine in Beijing's Fangshan district.

Meng Xianyou said: ''I told my brother, your wife is going to have to marry someone else.''

''I said, 'Right, I had been thinking about buying an apartment in town for my wife and it was going to be someone else's,''' Meng Xianchen added.

''I laughed too, I said my wife could find a rich man in Shenyang. But then I thought, I have two children and my wife is ugly, so it'd be hard for her to remarry."

Something tells me this guy is going to wish he was stuck back in that mine soon.

Labels: , |

0 comments: