Thursday, February 22, 2007

Finger Lickin' Good Burger

A distant relative of Jill’s died late last week, so there were some extended family members in town for the funeral over the weekend. Sunday night, my brother-in-law Tommy and I were put in charge of picking up dinner for the whole family, and to our less than enthusiastic endorsement, the dinner of choice was KFC. Admittedly, I have always been a fan of their food, especially the cole slaw. Good stuff. But I absolutely hate having to go there. It’s the dirtiest restaurant there is, the service is always slow, and there’s always at least one or two customers waiting in line with you that are sure to help you lose your appetite.

So Sunday night, Tommy takes me to the local KFC in town and wouldn’t you know it, it shares a space with A&W. It’s disgusting enough being at a KFC. But being at a KFC slash A&W is twice as bad. I saw one guy sitting at a table by himself with a bucket of chicken, a cheeseburger, some mashed potatoes, an order of fries, and what I can only assume was a large rootbeer float. It took everything in my power to not throw up from looking at him. So why does a place like this even exist? Why are we even given the option of choosing between fried chicken and triple cheeseburgers?

I’ve asked myself similar questions when I’ve seen Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robbins Ice Cream sharing establishments. Sure, it’s convenient when I get a craving for both a cream-filled pastry and some Rocky Road, but how often does that happen? You know what, don’t answer that.

Labels: , , |

3 comments:

  1. Greg Says:

    I've noticed this phenomenon as well. They're trying to be a "one stop shop" when in actuality, they're just grossing us out with oddball combinations. One of the KFC's in my area shares space with a Taco Bell. And if that wasn't bad enough, the other one around here is a KFC/Long John Silver. I can't wait for the KFC/White Castle joint. It's got to be coming soon.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    There's a White Castle/Church's Fried Chicken over where my sister used to live. Surprisingly, they opened up a Lifetime Fitness about 500 feet away. Something's telling me that's still too far for those people to walk.

  3. Anonymous Says:

    Just in case you weren't sufficiently grossed out:

    "Rats! Rodent Infestation Closes New York City KFC"

    http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_054065931.html