Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Why Jack Black? Why?

I haven’t yet figured out if Tenacious D is a joke or not. If they aren’t a joke, then that just makes them an average band with strange songs. If they are a joke, then I just don’t get it. They’re not particularly funny, and they’re not particularly good. So what else is left?

I think people give them a pass because Jack Black is likable, and he’s done things in the past that people have collectively enjoyed. He’s also done things that have been tongue-in-cheek funny. But this I just don’t understand. I saw their performance on SNL on Saturday and I had no clue what was going on. There was a giant robot and I think I saw some fire-breathing dragons or something. But nothing about it made me think, “wow, this is really funny” or “wow, they're really good”. So what was the point?

Somebody please help me understand Tenacious D.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous Says:

    I don't get them either. But their lead singer looks shockingly similar to the guy from King Kong.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    1)They are a joke. You just aren't in on the joke.
    2)Don't judge them based on their appearance on SNL. I love them and I will admit it sucked. It never works out of context.
    C)You obviously never liked 70's or 80's rock, even in an "ironic" way, am I right?

  3. Greg Says:

    I personally don't get it either. All their songs are about dragons or how they're the best band ever. Are they mocking Meatloaf? He never really had a problem mocking himself. For crying out loud, his name was MEATLOAF!

    Jack Black is a tough pill to swallow. I got the feeling watching him in School of Rock and Shallow Hal that those were seriously watered down versions of himself. I think he's probably closer to his character in Anchorman, and theres a reason that scene was only 2 minutes long.

    I saw the Tenacious D Showtime series a couple times but since I don't spend my evenings wasted, I never really got it. Now they have a movie. I'm pretty sure an hour and a half of Jack Black playing Jack Black would make me want to stab myself in the eyes with a spork.

  4. Greg Says:

    As an aside, I'm just guessing that if Jack Black could delete that part of his resume when he played "Skinhead" on the old series "Life Goes On", he probably would.

  5. Anonymous Says:

    Ack! Don't judge them on their movie! See them in concert.

  6. Eric Says:

    i watched a bunch of episodes of Tenacious D's old HBO show (or whatever network it was on), and i thought it ruled. i interpreted it, at least in part, as a piss take on self-important musicians who go to crappy open mic nights thinking they're the sheezy. if you've never gone to an open mic night, i can see where it might not make sense.