Friday, January 02, 2009

Do you think they'll show Guy backstage waiting to go on?

I watched an extended version of "That Thing You Do" a couple nights ago on Starz. It included most (or all) of the deleted scenes and it made the movie like 40 minutes longer. At first I didn't know what the hell was happening. I had seen the movie like 418 times (give or take 395), but this time I kept seeing things that I didn't remember. The 3rd or 4th time this happened, I started to realize what was going on (I'm a quick one). The deleted scenes changed quite a bit of what I had previously known:

- The band members at first didn't trust their manager who worked in the van.
- Faye made them all baloney sandwiches. Guy said he hates baloney (just odd).
- Fans got rowdy at the pizza place by the airport (Villapiano's?)
- Boss Vic Koss was a bigger a-hole than we even knew.
- There was a lot more focus on Tina and her dentist (deleted with good reason).
- Guy said "I am Spartacus" 6 or 18 more times.
- Mr. White's character was gay for his assistant (played by Howie Long. Awesome).
- TB Player had sex with one of the Chantrellines.
- Guy's reasoning for staying in L.A. was because he got a job with Clint Howard at the radio station as an interviewer of jazz musicians.

The extended version didn't flow at all. It was like watching an early episode of Seinfeld. It wasn't bad; it just wasn't right. I'd like to know what made Tom Hanks change his mind about Mr. White though.

Labels: , |

3 comments:

  1. Megan Says:

    I've never seen this movie, but if it's good enough to watch anywhere between 13 and 495 times, maybe I should give it a chance.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    Technically, it's between 23 and 813.

    /Ted Mosby'd

  3. Megan Says:

    Awesome. :)

    (I figured I was off...but I didn't feel like doing the math.)