Monday, October 08, 2007

The only marathon I'm participating in is a Nick at Nite rerun

I think it's interesting that people have to be told that running 26 miles in 88 degree weather may not be a good idea. If you hadn't heard, 1 person died and approximately 250 people required some form of medical care during the Chicago marathon on Sunday.

I can see wanting the sense of accomplishment from having finished a marathon, but attempting it yesterday in that weather was just silly. Take my word for it; the humidity was crazy. I needed a shower after having walked to the street to get the mail.

Then again, is there really any skill that goes into running a marathon anyway? If you can run it in under 3 hours, I will admit that's pretty impressive. But for the folks in the 4-6 hour range, finishing a marathon requires no skill whatsoever outside of knowing how to jog (or is it yog?). Uh oh, I think I may have just pissed off the marathon folks. That's a rough crowd to have angry at you, what with the 85 lb women and all. But I have a plan to make this a real sport, so hear me out. I think for next year, the organizers of the Chicago Marathon should incorporate some kind of running of the bulls with it. For the first 25 miles, participants get to yog along at their own pace, share in the refreshments at each stop, and talk with the neighborhood folks. But then the last mile is roped off with angry bulls running at each participant like they do in Spain. Not only will the runners be wicked tired, but they'll have to avoid getting pummeled and horned. Now that's a sport.

[Editors note: Brian is actually envious of marathon runners and hopes to be one some day. However, he has a habit of putting down people who he acknowledges are better than him]

Labels: , , |

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Train for one someday and revisit this. If you still feel the same way, then I have no complaints.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    Not to toot my own horn or anything (what does 'toot my own horn' even mean? What horn?), but Richard Roeper's column today looks like it was inspired by me.

  3. Greg Says:

    Here is the article Brian's talking about.