Monday, November 12, 2007

Sometimes I get a little emotional. It's my bad

You don't have to be a sports fan to appreciate this story.

Last week, Wyoming football coach Joe Glenn guaranteed a victory in their upcoming game against Utah on Saturday.

Fast-forward to the 3rd quarter of that game. After Utah scored again to go up 43-0, Utah's coach Kyle Whittingham called for an on-side kick so they could get the ball back and continue to run up the score.

Wyoming recovered the on-side kick, but it didn't stop Wyoming's guarantee-giving coach Joe Glenn from looking over towards the Utah sideline and giving Whittingham the finger.

The best part? I counted 3 "my bads" in the post-game interviews.

Late in the game, the crowd of 42,000 began chanting "guarantee" and Wyoming coach Joe Glenn said afterward that he regretted making that promise. "I got emotional last week and got my big Irish mouth going and made the guarantee," he said. "I'd probably like to have it back now. I wouldn't do it again."

On Sunday, Utah coach Kyle Whittingham told the Desert Morning News of Salt Lake City he regretted calling the onside kick. "My emotions got the best of me, and after thinking about it, I wouldn't have done it in hindsight. But emotions were running high as you could tell. That's the nature of sports, I guess. At times your emotions get in the way of sound decision-making."

Then on Monday, Glenn released the following statement regarding his gesture: "I met with my team on Sunday and apologized to them for the gesture I made toward the Utah bench during the game. I also want to apologize to all fans for that action. Football is an emotional game, and I let my emotions get the best of me. I felt it was appropriate for me to let my team and all fans know that I am truly sorry for that emotional moment."

Can this excuse be used in any circumstance? I think it can.

"I called your wife a slut. But you know what? I totally regret it. Sometimes my emotions get the best of me and I say things that I regret later. This was one of those times."

I like it. Let's try another one.

"I smacked you over the head with a tack hammer and called you a retard. But I cannot stress this enough; that was my bad. Sometimes I get emotional and hit people in the head with tack hammers and call them retards, but I never feel good about it afterwards. I apologize."

See what I did there? I combined the emotional excuse with a my bad. I can't wait for a real-life experience where I can bust this out.

Labels: , |

0 comments: