Monday, July 17, 2006

If I could be like Mike

Last week, I got home from work and my next door neighbor was sitting outside in his front yard talking with someone. This is the older guy who lives south of me, not the guy north of me whose kid borrowed my mower a few months back. Ok, so anyway, I pulled into my driveway where I saw Old Guy sitting outside in his front yard socializing with someone that I didn't recognize. When I got out of the car, he motioned me to come on over.

Here's the part of the story where I should mention that he thinks my name is Mike. Why, you ask? He just has always called me that. I corrected him a couple times in the very beginning, but he would always just look at me like I was crazy and continue to call me Mike. It eventually got to the point where I couldn't correct him anymore. Now, 6 years later, we're DEFINITELY at the point where I can no longer correct him.

"Hey Mike, how you doin?", he asked.

"Pretty good," I said, trying not to laugh.

(Oh yeah, I should probably also mention that it still cracks me up every time he calls me Mike. Old Guy must think I'm partially insane for breaking out into unprovoked laughter from time to time)

"I'd like you to meet Frank," said Old Guy. "He lives across the street."

"Nice to meet you," I said.

"You too Mike," said Frank. "I've seen you around, it's nice to finally put a name to the face."

Oh no. [Brian spits out beer in laughter, Frank and Old Guy look on confused]

"So, you live by yourself?" asked Frank. "I've seen a girl around here sometimes."

"That's Jill," I said. "We're getting married in September, but she doesn't live here yet."

"Oh, you're getting married? Congratulations. There will be Little Mike's running around here before you know it."

[Brian has heart attack from laughter. Frank and Old Guy even more confused]

I'll keep you all posted on how this turns out.

Labels: , , |

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous Says:

    The funny part is that HIS name probably isn't even Frank...

  2. Greg Says:

    You complain about him calling you "Mike", but in all fairness, you just called him "Old Guy".

  3. Anonymous Says:

    Hey!! Congratulations on Karen's and your upcoming wedding!! Lots of luck to you!