Monday, May 08, 2006

Don't hit anything that isn't green!!!!

Yesterday, I accepted an "everyone-wins" opportunity from my next door neighbor. He couldn't get his lawn mower started, so he asked if he could borrow mine. In return, he would mow my lawn for me after he was finished mowing his. A can't miss scenario, right? Of course it is, so I agreed.

"I have a few things I have to take care of first," said my neighbor. "But I'll be over in a few minutes [to get the mower from you]."

"Okay," I said. "Take your time."

Ten minutes later, my neighbor's 10 year old son showed up. Now he's a good kid, but not the first person I'd trust with my 20 HP Craftsman rider.

"Hi Brian, my Dad said to come over to get your mower."

"Uh, okay," I said reluctantly.

Now I'm in a difficult position. I agreed to lend out my mower, but had I known he was sending his kid over, I definitely wouldn't have. How could I change my mind now though? So instead, I put the kid through like 20 minutes of training on how to use the thing, which included at least 5 minutes of things NOT to do (don't run over anything that isn't green, stay at least 5 feet away from all cars at all times, and never ever EVER put it into 6th gear).

So off he went. I thought to myself that at least he was practicing on his own yard first. I, of course, was planted in front of my living room window, watching every move. He had a little bit of difficulty around a couple turns, and at one point, I actually saw the whole mower leap off the ground (even now, I'm not sure what he hit to make it do that). But about 45 minutes later, he finished up and it was time for my yard. Surprisingly, I only noticed about 2 or 3 clutch-rides and 4 or 5 grinds of my gears. Not bad for a first timer.

Unfortunately, he didn't have as much luck in Round 2. Perhaps he got a little cocky from his near-flawless maiden run on his own yard, or perhaps he simply forgot Rule #1 of things not to do.

POP... POP... POP... POP... POP... POP... POP... POP... POP

"Oh no," I thought to myself. "I think he got my lights."

After further inspection.......Yup, he did.

The very first pass-through, he managed to take out all 9 solar-powered lights that I have lining the front of my house. I heard the mower turn off, and moments later, a knock at the door.

"Uh, Brian," he said sheepishly.

"Yeah, I heard," I replied, cutting him off before he could continue. "I'll take it from here."

I hate my life.

1 comments:

  1. Anonymous Says:

    best blog all month!