Monday, September 22, 2008

A clinching day at Wrigley through the eyes of a White Sox fan

I mentioned on Friday that I'd be showing myself at Wrigley Field on Saturday to watch the Cubs clinch the division. I also mentioned that rather than blaspheming all day, in my head I'd be daydreaming that I was winning at poker in Vegas. Everything went according to plan; I caught a nice run of cards right in the beginning and was working off a tall stack the entire day. I got cold cards in the middle there, but after 3 hours or so, I was up big and was able to walk away happy.


There's the whole crew; clockwise from the left we have me sporting a ridiculous hat and shirt (yeah I have a beer in my hand; it was one of many to help drown out the impurities), followed by Jill, Tommy, Elaine, and Jill's Dad and Mom.

That's local boy Vince Vaughn throwing out the first pitch. For some reason he was allowed to do it twice. The first pitch bounced before making it to home plate, but since he's Vince Vaughn, he got a do-over. Unfortunately for the guy sitting next to me in my daydream, he didn't get a do-over when he went all in on the 2nd hand with a pair of 6's. Dumbass.
I snapped out of my daydream long enough to toast with my fellow Chicagoans. I have to tell you, flashing back and forth between actual heavy drinking and daydreaming that you're winning at poker is a great way to spend an afternoon. It's also a good way to get yourself committed. But hey, as poker legend Doyle Brunson once said, "drinking heavily and daydreaming of poker is a great way to spend an afternoon." I defy you to prove to me that he didn't say that.

The picture here doesn't do this guy justice, but he's holding a beer in his left hand too. Dude, they're not gonna run out; this is Wrigley. Interesting note: that guy is holding $20 worth of beer. You think baseball teams don't make money? All game long, 40,000 people are paying $20 for $1 worth of Old Style. Yowza!
Vince sang the 7th inning stretch and walked across this catwalk 3 or 4 times. He also inexplicably left his seat with 1 out in the 9th. The only excuse I'm accepting for him leaving when his team was 2 outs from clinching was that he was running down to the clubhouse to celebrate with the team. But since the Cubs were only up by 1 at the time and clinching wasn't guaranteed yet, I have no idea what the hell he was doing. As George Costanza once said, "manure is very refreshing". Yeah that doesn't really fit here, but he did say it. My topical quotes need some work.

Woo Hoo! They won! Hey, did you know that prior to this year, the Cubs hadn't made the playoffs two years in a row since 1908? I'd point out that 1908 was also the last year they won the World Series, but......never mind. Kill me.
Say what you want about the Cubs, but that sign is cool. I can't deny that.

I'm not sure what this picture is all about. Jill was in charge of the camera all day, so I'm guessing she just wanted to show that we were on Clark. The 1100 block to be exact. Why put it on this blog if it doesn't mean anything? I'm mysterious like that.

Ah, we're on Addison too. The corner of Clark and Addison. NOW it tells the whole story.

After the Cubs won, we celebrated with ZZ Top. It was a lot of fun. We reminisced about the good old days when Legs was topping the charts and Rick Sutcliffe was known for more than fawning over Erin Andrews. As Weird Al once said, "those were the good old days. Those were the good old days. The years go by but the memory stays. Those were the good old days."

He actually really did say that. I'm quoting busted Weird Al songs now. Which means I have to end this thing. But before I go, I will leave you with one more thought to ponder. The White Sox lowered their magic number to 5 over the weekend. The last time the White Sox and Cubs both made the playoffs in the same year was 1906, when an underdog Sox team dominated the Cubs in the World Series.

Just sayin'......

Labels: , , |

1 comments:

  1. Anonymous Says:

    You lose a bet with those clothes?