Wednesday, July 02, 2008

An update on the cool little guy

Last month I put up a story about Adam Bender. He's an 8-year-old who lost one of his legs, but still manages to play baseball. Today I read this:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ever since he read a story last month about Adam Bender, an 8-year-old Little League catcher who lost a leg to cancer when he was 1, Nick Swisher has kept the story posted in his locker. On Tuesday, Swisher got to meet Adam and his family, who traveled from Lexington, Ky., as Swisher's guests to spend a day with the team. Swisher threw the ceremonial first pitch to Adam behind the plate.

''I don't know if I'll be able to throw a strike to him, I'm so nervous,'' Swisher joked beforehand as he showed the youngster around the clubhouse and dugout.

''You're such an inspiration to a lot of people, regardless of age, and I hope you know that,'' Swisher told the boy, who came as part of the player's ''Swish's Wishes'' program. ''I can't think of a better way to celebrate the first anniversary of 'Swish's Wishes' than to spend it with Adam Bender and his family.''
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well played Swisher. Well played.

Labels: , |

0 comments: