Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Joe Morgan chat nonsense

This may have been my favorite Joe Morgan chat of all time. These things are supposed to be an hour long; this one lasted 9 minutes, and he barely answered any of the questions.

Jones (long Beach, Calif.): Hi Joe, back in your day, did players care about winning awards? I know you won two, but you were about winning. My dad says that no one today plays with the same intensity and fire Joe Morgan used to play with.

Joe Morgan: I don't think you can paint everybody with that same brush. If you just look in general, players are more conscious of their statistics today than before. But I don't blame them, because the money is so enormous and they get paid on statistic, whereas before you got paid on contributions to the teams.

I included this one simply because the words “fire Joe Morgan” were part of the question by Jones from Long Beach. I’ve been directed to go to firejoemorgan.blogspot.com. That site has good writing, and is a fun read.

Brandon, Eden Prairie, MN: Joe, after his 5-5 proformance last night in a east coast game, did Morneau boost his MVP chances? Seems like all he needs is a little more exposure and he would be the hands down winner.

Joe Morgan: I don't think he would be a hands down winner, but more exposure would help him. No one gets as much exposure as anyone that plays for the Yankees and the White Sox also get a lot now. I don't even know if I would vote for him because I haven't seen him enough.

YES! He doesn’t know if he would vote for him because he hasn’t seen him enough. Isn’t that the best? Does anybody know if Joe actually gets to vote for this thing? If he does, that comment alone should be enough to strip him of the privilege. I couldn’t believe he actually typed that.

Justin FJM (Denville, NJ): hi Joe - I've read Dusty Baker quoted a couple times about how it's not real helpful to get on base if you're just going to "clog up the bases" -- what do you think he means by this? I would think being on base would always be good.

Joe answered with his standard nonsense, but I wanted to point out a possible mole. Notice the person’s name who asked the question (Justin FJM). Could the “FJM” stand for Fire Joe Morgan perhaps? If Justin is from the “firejoemorgan” website, I think I want to meet those guys.

Sean, Ontario: Hi Joe, DO you think the Indians should move Martinez to 1b?

Joe Morgan: I don't see him enough. I know that they're not always happy with his catching ability. I don't see him enough to decide whether they should move him or whether he needs to work harder on his defense.

No, of course not. Obviously, a guy can’t provide commentary on a team he doesn’t watch. Which begs the question, WHY THE EF DOES JOE PROVIDE COMMENTARY?!?!?!?!

Labels: |

0 comments: