Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Some blogs literally write themselves

When will people learn what the word "literally" means? In fact, nobody really speaks figuratively anymore (and when I say "nobody", of course I'm speaking figuratively).

You see, all too often you'll hear someone say something like, "I literally wasted my entire day at the Secretary of State's office.... Literally!" Now I'm not calling you a liar, but unless you actually arrived at the SOS office at the break of dawn and didn't leave until Jay Leno was already telling his third joke about Taylor Hicks' hair (Kevin: "Oh that's cold, man!"), then no, you did not LITERALLY spend the entire day at the Secretary of State.

What you did is use a flourish of the English language that some refer to as exaggeration. Then, to excentuate your obvious exaggeration, you told us that it wasn't an exaggeration, but a fact. So, okay, maybe you are a liar. It's ok, it happens to the best of us. But next time you do it, I'm going to have to put a rope around my neck... Literally. I'm literally going to hang myself because you don't know how to speak the language.

Labels: , , |

0 comments: