Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Birds in Paradise

So I am ashamed to admit it but even with all the nice weather we've had of late, I still hadn't opened my grill yet. That is, until today. I looked out the window and I noticed that a bird landed on the side and then crawled inside my grill.

Yes, my first instinct was to turn on the grill at that point, but I resisted. He flew out a couple seconds later. So I went out and rapped on the outside of the grill to make sure he didn't have friends in there ready to attack me. Nothing. It was safe.

So I opened the lid and sure enough... there was an entire nest in there. It was very gross. After several minutes of debate... I decided to evict them. These germ riddled squatters were going to have to a new place to live. I moved all their twig-like belongings out to the curb. Ok, actually I just moved the nest onto the floor of the deck and went inside.

A few minutes later the bird came back. This time he had his companion. They weren't happy. I listened closely and I'm positive this is what I heard...

"Oh great, what are we supposed to do now, Larry?"
"How should I know, Robin?"
"Well this was all your idea..."
"MY idea?! You said you wanted to be closer to your sister!!"
"Yeah, I put a gun to your head and said, 'let's live in an oven!'"
"Well I didn't hear you offer up any ideas at the time."
"Maybe if you paid attention to me, you would have known what I was thinking!"
"Known what you were thinking? Who am I, Miss Cleo?"

Then they each grabbed a twig and flew off. Something tells me that was just the beginning of that conversation.

0 comments: